Sr. Corporate Counsel Job Description
We are more than a specialty finance company providing debt recovery solutions for consumers. We are a global team of over 4,000 employees whose daily mission is to empower consumers to begin their path towards financial recovery and build a better life for themselves and their families. We know that the only way to support this mission is by hiring exceptional people who bring a diversity of ideas, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for attaining breakthrough results. If you are results-driven, have a passion for helping others, and thrive in an innovative environment, this might be the right place for you!
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Compliance plays an integral role in working with the business to ensure legal compliance with all laws, regulations and other rules impacting the Company. This role provides best-practice legal
research and analysis, collaborates with business leaders and staff by
educating those clients about applicable legal requirements, and explores
options to ensure compliance while facilitating efficiency and helping the Company reach its business goals. This role also works closely with the Risk and Compliance group to support the Company's compliance goals, mitigate risk, and accomplish goals consistent with risk tolerances.
- Operate as a senior member of a nimble team with advanced legal and business knowledge.
- Collaborate with business leaders and staff by educating those clients about applicable legal requirements; explore options to ensure compliance while facilitating efficiency and returns on investment.
- Develop new processes and review existing practices to ensure compliance with company policies and applicable federal and state laws to our business; provide significant support to business leaders responsible for their respective channels.
- Collaborate with Risk and Compliance team to ensure that compliance processes represent best in class practices, and those practices are clearly documented and consistently followed.
- Conduct legal research and work with outside counsel as needed to educate business leaders and staff about applicable legal requirements to ensure compliance while facilitating efficiency and helping the company achieve it's business goals.
- Define, review and manage budget; balance the use and deployment of internal and external legal resources.
EDUCATION: Master's or Advanced
FIELD OF STUDY: JD degree from an accredited law school
EXPERIENCE: 8+ years of legal and management experience. Experience in the collections / financial industry
CERTIFICATION(S): Juris Doctorate
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND OTHER ATTRIBUTES:
- Strong communication, writing, advocacy, and research skills
- Able to effectively identify legal and business risks to skillfully and effectively advise executive leadership
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- The ideal candidate will have a 8-10 years of prior experience in both law firms and corporate settings
- Strong knowledge of debt buying and debt collection industries, as well as extensive knowledge of State and Federal compliance laws, regulations, and regulatory bodies affecting the debt collection industry, including FDCPA and state collections laws, FCRA, TCPA, GLBA, SCRA, EFTA, among others, as well as regulatory requirements (including CFPB and FTC)
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Starting CompensationAnnual Salary: $135,600.00 + (Amount based on office location, relevant experience, skills, and competencies)
What We Offer
We understand the important balance between work and life, fun and professionalism, and corporation verse community. We strive to support your career aspirations and provide the benefits you need to live a more fulfilling life.
Our compensation and benefits programs were created with an 'Employee-First Approach' focused on supporting, developing, and recognizing YOU. We offer a wide array of wellness and mental health initiatives, support volunteerism, and environmental efforts, encourage employee education through leadership training, skill-building, and tuition reimbursements, and always strive to provide promotion opportunities from within.
All these things are just a small way to show our employees that we recognize their value, we understand what is important to them, and we reward their contributions.
Encore Capital Group and all of its subsidiaries are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application and/or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at Talent@mcmcg.com.