Director, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Job Description
We are more than a specialty finance company providing debt recovery solutions for consumers. We are a global team of over 4,000 employees whose daily mission is to empower consumers to begin their path towards financial recovery and build a better life for themselves and their families. We know that the only way to support this mission is by hiring exceptional people who bring a diversity of ideas, a collaborative spirit, and a passion for attaining breakthrough results. If you are results-driven, have a passion for helping others, and thrive in an innovative environment, this might be the right place for you!
About the Role
One of Encore’s three core Values is “We are Inclusive and Collaborative.” The Director, Diversity Equity & Inclusion (DEI) will be responsible for building and defining the global DEI strategy for Encore Capital Group (“Encore”) and leading execution of the strategy in partnership with Encore’s business units and DEI steering committees around the world. This role acts as internal DEI center of excellence and provides thought leadership by taking a balanced consultative and systemic approach to enable the organization to capitalize on DEI for global success through strategic and tactical/operational execution. The ability to work seamlessly in a decentralized organizational model is key, including being comfortable with ambiguity and designing new programs and governance structures where none existed before. This leader will partner with senior executives and other internal stakeholders to embed DEI into the DNA of Encore and its businesses. This leader should be knowledgeable about DEI practices in Encore’s geographical footprint – which currently covers U.S., India, UK and parts of western Europe, India and Costa Rica. This position does not have any direct reports and sits at the holding company level reporting to Encore’s SVP & Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Build strong relationships with business leaders to develop a deep understanding of the business and increase awareness and understanding of DEI as a critical business imperative and drive the key pillars of the global strategy into relevant initiatives. Create organizational advocacy, action planning, and champion knowledge building in the DEI area.
- Collaborate with key stakeholders, including providing oversight and leadership to the business unit D&I steering committees, in the strategic planning, design, implementation and monitoring of key DEI programs throughout the talent lifecycle, ensuring plans are aligned with company D&I philosophy, talent development frameworks, employee experience paradigm, and organizational strategies and goals. Provide consultation at the regional and local levels to support overall and local strategy execution.
- Represent the company internally and externally at various forums and events as selected, consistently role modeling Encore’s Values.
- Own the development and delivery of training programs that drive D&I awareness, understanding and action, ensuring collaboration with business units D&I steering committees.
- Design framework and approach, and manage the implementation of employee resource groups (ERGs), including nomination, selection, governance, event management, stakeholder communication. success metrics, budget and financial advocacy.
- In partnership with Corporate Communications, help to build and manage the communication strategy internally and externally for promoting and highlighting our company DEI position globally supporting employment brand promotion and evolution.
- Partner with HR leaders around the world to ensure DEI principles and processes are embedded into global employee experience paradigm and talent management programs such as Performance Management, Talent Review, Succession Planning, and Total Rewards programs/practices.
- Own the DEI component of Encore’s overall ESG strategy, including drafting internal and external disclosures (e.g., public filings). Partner with the ESG team.
- Regularly measure and analyze, report and present data, highlighting areas of strength and weakness, providing consultative support and working in partnership with business unit DEI steering committees to identify opportunities, interventions, and initiatives for improvement.
- Establish consistent metrics and reporting to enable leaders and relevant stakeholders to assess performance, inform decisions on how to achieve objectives, and assess the ROI.
- Provide leadership and coaching, when appropriate, to managers via one-to-one and group interactions.
- Proactively engages in the identification of diversity best practices and benchmarks as input to designing and implementing initiatives; keep abreast of emerging trends and opportunities.
- Design and pilot programs to retain and develop diverse talent with ability to measure through metrics and other methods.
Qualities to be successful in this role:
- Cultural awareness, emotional intelligence, sensitivity, and flexibility, with a knowledge of principles, methods, and tools of DEI.
- Good writer and public speaker.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to translate metrics, research, and trends into strategy and improvement opportunities.
- Strong change management and project management skills, with demonstrated ability to operationalize and scale programs focused on DEI.
- Attention to detail and a highly organized, process-focused aptitude are required to manage the variety of responsibilities and deliverables.
- Strong business acumen with the ability to incorporate diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging into company or business goals and objectives.
- Ability to motivate, influence and optimize working relationships with senior leadership and other internal and external stakeholders; ability to challenge conventional wisdom.
- Ability to deal tactfully and persuasively with a wide variety of staff including Senior Executives.
- Excellent communicator and collaborator, with the ability to build trusting relationships, manage stakeholder expectations and influence colleagues across all levels of the company.
- Influence others without direct authority to achieve solutions to meet organization’s objectives, and is proactive in providing solutions, resolving issues and overcoming hurdles to results. Effectively collaborates with partners to resolve.
- Exceptional facilitation and presentations skills.
- Strong executive presence, consistently representing the company in a professional manner internally and externally.
- Passion for diverse talent attraction, retention, development and inclusion.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in cultural studies, ethnic studies, social services, psychology, organizational development, behavioral sciences business, HR or related field.
- 10+ years professional level work experience in a corporate environment preferably in the areas of DEI, HR, Corporate Strategy, Communications or Marketing.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working specifically in DEI work, leading and management DEI programs and initiatives.
- Global DEI program management experience preferred.
- Relevant professional certifications (PHR/SPHR, SHRM, ICF Coaching, PMP, etc.)
What We Offer
We understand the important balance between work and life, fun and professionalism, and corporation verse community. We strive to support your career aspirations and provide the benefits you need to live a more fulfilling life.
Our compensation and benefits programs were created with an 'Employee-First Approach' focused on supporting, developing, and recognizing YOU. We offer a wide array of wellness and mental health initiatives, support volunteerism, and environmental efforts, encourage employee education through leadership training, skill-building, and tuition reimbursements, and always strive to provide promotion opportunities from within.
All these things are just a small way to show our employees that we recognize their value, we understand what is important to them, and we reward their contributions.
Encore Capital Group and all of its subsidiaries are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application and/or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at Talent@mcmcg.com.